Diageo Reserve World Class Competition, Hilton KL
Some of Malaysia’s best bartenders who are competing for a place in the 2015 World Class Global Finals in South Africa
Diageo Reserve World Class, one of the world's most prestigious mixology competition was held in Zeta Bar, Hilton Kuala Lumpur last April. The esteemed, by-invitation only event which goal is to redefine fine drinking experiences featured the ever versatile Johnnie Walker Gold Label Reserve Blended Scotch Whiskey, one of the most well crafted spirits from the Diageo Reserve luxury collection.
Forget fine dining - fine drinking is evidently a lot more exciting
The fifteen talented mixologists vying for the title of Best Bartender in Malaysia are:
- Arsenio Mariano Jr., Nobu
- Daniel Eman, Las Caretas
- Dedi Pranata, Souled Out
- Edward Tang, Skybar
- Hafiz Hisham, Chamber’s Bar
- M.Hanafi, Qba
- Insan Sharily, Tate
- Jeffri Sulaiman, Mr. Brooks
- Joel Timis, The View
- John Yap, Majestic
- Khir Johari, CuBen
- Naresh Kumar, Qba
- Osmund Illah, Hubba Hubba
- Samuel Mesol, Hubba Hubba
- Shawn Chong, Omakase+Appreciate
These competing bartenders have a similar objective in mind - to bring about sophistication and innovation in their drinks by pushing the boundaries of the contemporary cocktail culture. They need to undertake two challenges that will put their skills to test: (1) Fundamental of Flavors, using Johnnie Walker Gold Label Reserve Blended Scotch Whiskey, and (2) A History of London, using Tanqueray No. Ten Gin. Judging criteria is based on the aroma, flavor, presentation, technique, and the use of spirits.
I used to think that being a bartender is an easy job, but it actually takes plenty of effort, trials, and artistry to concoct a remarkable glass of cocktail which can leave a lasting impression.
Bartenders in action, juggling and flipping shakers and bottles. What a sight!
We want more! We want more!
Great performances by Transit that got everyone grooving
Some of the iconic cocktails presented that night which incorporated JW Gold Label Reserve. Yums!
Drinks prepared that evening were:
- GOLD RUSH by Sam from Hubba Hubba - JW Gold Label Reserve, fresh lemon juice, velvety egg white and sugar syrup strained into ice
- SMOKEY APPLE JULEP by Jeffri from Mr. Brooks - JW Gold Label Reserve,apples, lemons, sparkling apple juice and fresh mint leaves
- GOLD FASHIONED by Joel from The View - JW Gold Label Reserve, bitters, a muddled sugar cube with a dash of water and an orange peel
- LEMONGRASS SOUR by Angel from Hit & Mrs - JW Gold Label Reserve, lemon juice, homemade lemongrass syrup, egg whites, lemongrass and orange bitters
- GOLDEN APPLE by Eddie from Zeta Bar - JW Gold Label Reserve, clear apple juice, soda water and apple slices
My personal favorite? Probably the Smokey Apple Julep :) Can't wait to see the progress of the competition!
Special thanks to Johnnie Walker and Alex.